08 Aug Bilingual Jurilinguist – Government of Manitoba
Manitoba Justice, Legislative Counsel
Advertisement Number: 39535
Salary Range: $75,841.00 – $101,204.00 per year
Closing Date: September 30, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
This advertisement is filling multiple positions and will remain open until they are filled. An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
This position is Designated Bilingual. The successful candidate must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in both official languages (English and French).
The Legislative and Parliamentary Translation Branch is searching for an experienced, curious and creative translator-reviser looking to excel in their work. The successful candidate will be well supported and will work with a team of respectful and passionate colleagues in an environment where intellectual effort is rewarded and collaboration is encouraged, including with on-site legislative drafters. This position will require the successful candidate to work in person.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Designated Bilingual (French and English)
- Successful completion of a university degree in a discipline relevant given the position
- Comprehensive knowledge and command of verbal communication in both official languages
- Comprehensive knowledge and command of written communication in both office languages
- Extensive experience in translation from English to French
- Extensive experience reviewing and revising translations for accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to quickly make sound decisions
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work assignments and work under pressure to meet changing workload demands and deadlines
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Extensive knowledge of the concepts and principles that apply to the revision of legislative texts and ability to follow Canadian French-language legislative drafting standards
- Knowledge of parliamentary procedure
- Experience mentoring other translators
- Certification in translation from a Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC) affiliated organization, OTTIAQ or another recognized organization
Reporting to the Director of Legislative and Parliamentary Translation, the Jurilinguist is a senior legislative translator and reviser who ensures the creation of French legislation, including complex legislation, that meets accepted Canadian principles in French legislative drafting. The Jurilinguist works closely with Translation Counsel to ensure both the English and the French versions have the same legal effect. In addition, the Jurilinguist translates and revises sometimes complex parliamentary documents from the Legislative Assembly, applying appropriate terminology and concepts of parliamentary procedure.
For further information concerning the position and our work environment, please send your inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertisement No. 39535
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB. R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.